As a multidisciplinary clinic, we also offer a range of special services to all our patients.
Our Own Health Centre is proud to offer a broad range of Family Medicine services to everybody in Winnipeg and surrounding areas.
These services include:
- Acute care for short-term illness
- Ongoing care of chronic problems
- Treatment of complex and long-term medical conditions
- Preventative Care:
- Annual health evaluations
- Physical exams for work, sports, school, and summer camp
- Flu shots, allergy injections, and immunizations
- Screening and treatment for Sexually Transmitted Illnesses
- Specific Care:
- Newborn and well-child care
- Obstetrics, including prenatal care, delivery and postpartum care
- Men’s Health: including prostate and testicular examinations and erectile dysfunction
- Women’s Health: including Pap smears, pelvic, and breast exams
- Palliative care
- Biopsy and excision of skin lesions
- Wart treatment
- Incision and drainage of abscesses
- Intrauterine device (IUD) placement and removal
- Joint injections
- Cosmetic Injections: Botox®, fillers, etc.
- Skin-implanted birth control placement and removal
We understand and have a long history of service to the Gay, Bisexual and MSM community in Manitoba.
While Gay, Bisexual and other men who have sex with men (MSM) share the same general health issues as everybody else, there also are some health issues more specific to both men and MSM.
Issues include those related to:
- use of alcohol and recreational substances
- mental health concerns that arise from a history of discrimination
Our Own Health Centre delivers both the general health care needed by any man, but also understanding and judgement-free care for all the things unique to gay, bisexual, and MSM. We focus on harm-reduction rather than demand you eliminate behaviours that might your health at risk. We want to help you be healthy, no matter what you do.
Healthy Sexuality for Gay, Bisexual and other MSM
- Sexually-Transmitted Illness (STI) Care:
- 3-6 month testing for HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia & Gonorrhea
- Immediate treatment of STIs
- Immunization against Hepatitis A & B and HPV
- Education on Safer Sexuality
- Consideration of PrEP against HIV
- Sex Drive
- Erectile Function
We believe that optimal health depends on more than just medical care. We are in interdisciplinary facility and offer many special services to keep people healthy.
SPECIAL SERVICES include:
- Physical Fitness and Nutritional Counseling by a Kinesiology Professional
- Exercise regimen planning
- Body composition assessment and tracking
- Diet and nutrition analyses
- Basic in-clinic exercise sessions
- For OOHC patients:
- Physical Activity Consultation - No charge
- Single Session (30 minutes) - $25
- 1 Cycle (4, 30 minute sessions) - $75
- For non-OOHC patients:
- Physical Activity Consultation - $15
- Single Session (30 minutes) - $35
- 1 Cycle (4, 30 minute sessions) - $115
- For OOHC patients:
- Psychological Counseling
- Counseling for both personal and relationship-based concerns can be provided through Our Own Health Centre.
- Sexuality Counseling and Sexology
- Our Own Health Centre partners with Dr. Reece Malone who is Manitoba`s only Certified Sex Therapist (CST), a Certified Sexuality Educator (CSE) and Certified Sexologist (ACS). Dr. Malone helps both individuals and partnerships in matters including low sexual desire, sexual pain, erectile dysfunction, intimacy, orgasm concerns, and sexual skills.
- Smoking Cessation
- Our pharmacist, Roger Tam, is certified to offer smoking cessation programs which focus on both counseling and medication.
- Medication Reviews
- Our pharmacist, Roger Tam also will review a patient`s medications to optimize effectiveness, minimize side-effects, and determine if there might be interactions between medications, or with natural therapies or recreational drugs.
- Massage Therapy
- We soon hope to offer Massage Therapy on-site.